Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture: Volume 42
Volume 42 explores material culture, the visual arts, literature, opera, and the stage during the long eighteenth century in France, Britain, the Americas, and China. These essays examine encounters between Europe and the Americas, the Orient and the Occident, as well as the challenges of translation. Several authors analyze the role of gender in literature and life, exploring themes of intimacy, interiority, authority, and knowledge.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:1. Christopher M. S. Johns, 'Erotic Spirituality and the Catholic Revival in Napoleonic Paris: The Curious History of Antonio Canova’:s Penitent Magdalene'
2. Jeffrey M. Leichman, 'Beaumarchais' Revolution: Genre, Politics, and Theatricality in La Mè:re coupable'
3. Ed Goehring, 'The Jesuit and the Libertine: Some early reception of Mozart's Don Giovanni'
4. Kristina Kleutghen, 'Staging Europe: Theatricality and Painting at the Chinese Imperial Court'
5. Ana Elena Gonzá:lez Treviñ:o, '‘:Kings and their crowns’:: signs of monarchy and the spectacle of New World otherness in heroic drama and public pageantry'
6. Annie Smart, 'Re-Reading Nature and Exoticism in Chateaubriand's Voyage en Amé:rique: A Case for the Biophilia Effect'
7. Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell, 'Beauty and the Beast: Animals in the Visual and Material Culture of the Toilette'
8. Hector Reyes, 'Drawing and History in the Comte de Caylus’: Recueil d’:antiquité:s'
9. Laura Miller, 'Publishers and Gendered Readership in English-Language Editions of Il Newtonianismo per le Dame'
10. Heidi Bostic, 'Graffigny’:s Self, Graffigny’:s Friend: Intimate Sharing in the Correspondance 1750–:52'
11. Julie Park, 'The Poetics of Enclosure in Sense and Sensibility'
12. Caroline Austin Bolt, 'Mediating Happiness: Performances of Jane Austen’:s Narrators'
13. Kate C. Hamilton, 'She 'Came up Stairs into the World:' Elizabeth Barry and Restoration Celebrity'
*An electronic version of a printed book that can be read on a computer or handheld device designed specifically for this purpose.
Formats for this Ebook
|Required Software||Any PDF Reader, Apple Preview|
|Supported Devices||Windows PC/PocketPC, Mac OS, Linux OS, Apple iPhone/iPod Touch.|
|# of Devices||Unlimited|
|Flowing Text / Pages||Pages|
|The message text*:|
Edinburgh past and present ... With notes of the county, ... by ... J. S. Mill, F. Masson and Dr. Geikie. With 150 illustrations.
Letters of George Meredith, Vol. 1 of 2: Collected and Edited by His Son: 1844 1881 (Classic Reprint)
'Astronomy, Cosmology and Fundamental Physics': Proceedings of the Third ESO-CERN Symposium, Held in Bologna, Palazzo Re Enzo, May 16-20, 1988 (Astrophysics and Space Science Library)